February 23, 2012

What to eat on a cleanse (Part 2 of the cleanse series)

Hi guys!

A couple thoughts on my last cleanse post:
1.  I don't think you need the expensive products to do it and have it be effective.  I am not a registered dietitian (...surprise!!!), but I think you would be okay buying any rice-based protein powder for the smoothies.  (Rice, because you're eliminating soy and gluten, which most other ones are made of.)  And you'd want to make sure it's fortified with a lot of other good stuff.  Supposedly the supplement pills helped with the detoxification process, so you might want to splurge on those.

2.  You could also probably do this effectively just by taking a few weeks and only eating off the list of allowed foods.

Okay, I know I'm starting to sound like a crazy person, but eating this way for a month-ish really changed how I think about what I put in my body and made me realize it has an affect on how we feel all over.

But that's not the purpose of this post.  This post is a list of things you can eat on this cleanse, because when I first saw the list I was like "SRI!!?3$@ODsj!@$#@$#!!!!   There is nothing to eat!!!!!!"

Here are some things I ate that made me not feel like I was totally on a cleanse:

  • Roasted potatoes and roasted vegetables as sides to any chicken or fish dish felt like totally normal food.
  • A whole roasted chicken (with salt, pepper, garlic, herbs) is always delicious.
  • For Valentine's Day, I made this delicious halibut, and served it with a quinoa/brown rice medley with sauteed vegetables.
  • The first weekend, I made a big pot of hearty chicken chili and ate it over a baked potato.  (Yes, I missed the cheese but... what's a girl to do?)
  • Brown rice pasta with any sort of veggie marinara sauce (plus chicken?) felt like a non-cleanse meal, and the brown rice pasta didn't really taste weird.  (And I'm very freaked out by fake versions of food tasting really weird.  ...Just go heavy on the sauce.)
  • The smoothies for breakfast eliminated any need to think about breakfast foods, although you could do steel-cut oats (with almond milk, if you wanted), topped with blueberries and sliced almonds.
  • I made a bunch of quinoa-based salads (sort of Whole Foods style) with cleanse-friendly ingredients.  (You could do a tex-mex black beans, onion, avocado thing... or a golden raisins, butternut squash, hazelnuts kinda thing...)
  • It was easy to fall in a trap of everything tasting bland.  I made this sauce and put it on top of everything for a wonderful savory flavor burst.
  • Eating a restaurants wasn't that hard, so long as it wasn't a specific type of ethnic cuisine.  (Like all asian foods would have a lot of soy; Mexican foods would have a lot of corn, etc.)  
  • Brown rice cakes became surprisingly really delicious to me, topped with either almond butter or avocado, olive oil and salt.
Happy clean-eating!

2 comments:

  1. I have a few thoughts here, so I'll just list them in no particular order...When you frame it this way, it sounds totally doable. (But a leetle tricky if you don't want to eat meat/chicken.) I can't buy brown rice cakes because I inevitably eat the whole bag. Speaking of almond butter, do you know what I bought this week that is *amazing* and works has salad dressing/condiment/spread? TAHINI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I happen to really like chicken, even though if I think about it, it makes me want to barf. For the most part, though, I stuck to "high end" (ha) chicken to keep everything clean, which is less disgusting.

      Girl, I did some pigging out on rice cakes. Which is fairly ok because they have 60 calories each.

      Tahini! I always forget about it! Although that made me remember that we did a lot of hummus on the cleanse, with gluten-alternative chip-things.

      Delete