November 9, 2012

Time Change Bummer

Guys.  I hate standard time.  Can we just all agree to just stay on daylight savings time forever???  Can that be something President Obama does this term?  Please?  Should I tweet that to him?  Will you guys sign a petition?
:: coincidence that it looks like this guy is committing suicide by falling off a building?  i don't think so. ::

When it gets darker earlier, a few things happen:
1.  I want to eat all the time from 4:30pm on -- if it's dark for that many hours, we should be allowed two dinners!
2.  I can't bring myself to exercise after work in the darkness.  (I don't belong to a gym.)
3.  I get super bummed!

I remembered that this same time last year I emailed my brother (who lives in Seattle) and my friend Tara (who lives in Alaska) to be all "OMG I'm dying.  How do you do it in your northern parts???"

If you are feeling like you're about to fall into a pit of darkness-induced depression, here is their wisdom from last year:

My brother said that November's basically the worst month because we haven't yet adjusted to the darkness, and it's getting worse every day.  I think that's a good point.  While it's still getting darker in December, it seems like holiday lights and cheer kind of distract me.  Then after the holidays, it's getting lighter every day -- woohoo!

And this is how Tara started her email to me: "Admittedly, dark places aren't for everyone :)"  Ha.  True dat.  I'm dying here in Los Angeles because it is 60 degrees (brrrrr...) and dark at 5pm.  I couldn't handle Alaska.  Tara recommended going for a walk during the work day to grab lunch or coffee just to remember that there is indeed daylight in the world.  (She also said she went for a run with friends in 7 degree weather.  She is basically an American hero.)

What tips do you have for dealing with the darkness?  Please.  Help me.

2 comments:

  1. Another kinda funny thing about Alaska--it seems less sad and dark when there's snow on the ground! Not only is snow suuuuper fun, and an indication that there are fun things to be done outside (like building igloos! I am serious!), it also reflects ambient light from around town and makes it seem brighter!

    Oh also I bought an alarm clock that gradually turns on a big glowing lamp so it seems light when I wake up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of this being a thing Obama does.

    ReplyDelete