November 13, 2012

Tip Tuesday: How to Keep Bagged Salad Fresh

Sometimes I go through phases where I buy all my produce at the farmers market every week.  But mostly I go through phases where I don't do that, and buy food at Trader Joe's, even though it's been packaged for a long time and isn't as fresh. 

During one of my good phases, a farmers market vendor taught me to store the lettuce I was buy from him with a paper towel in the bag.  As moisture gets in, the paper towel soaks up the water and keeps it off the lettuce, keeping it fresher longer.  Awesome.

But normally I buy bagged salads at the grocery store, and they spoil sooooo easily once they're opened.  So I applied my farmer trick:

It works like a charm.  Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try this! Will it work for heads of lettuce too? Even my unchopped lettuce goes bad sooo fast.

    I have another trick I use that works real nice--I store even pre-made salads in the fridge in my salad spinner (like, with the lettuce in the basket, inside the outer bowl, with the lid on). I think this helps because any moisture drains out or condenses on the sides of the bowl. I've done it for up to a week even with other stuff in there too like carrots, herbs, etc. The only downside is it takes up a lot of room in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete