January 21, 2018

Daniel Tiger's Snowflake Day: Key observations after my 100th viewing



I know it’s January, but I’m still seeing Daniel Tiger’s “Snowflake Day” episode on a regular basis, and I’ve seen it enough times that I have a few observations I feel compelled to share.

  • First of all, this episode is really great, right? The music is 1000x better than any other episode (equal, maybe, to Margaret’s birth, which is also pretty amazing). Did they hire someone better, or did the regular music person realize they were making something special and decide to step it up? The changes in the intro/outro song are so good - love the classic 1950s Christmas style chipper vibrato and mother f-ing SLEIGH BELLS. (There may be a very google-able answer to this question, but I prefer to live in the wonder of my ignorance.)
  • When Daniel’s mom started talking about snowflakes, I tricked my notoriously hard to trick husband into believing that in another episode, we learned that Daniel’s mom was a meteorologist before she decided to be a SAHM. This makes me proud every time we get to that part.
  • When they arrive at the enchanted garden, and Daniel’s dad says “I’m going to see if King Friday needs any help,” it 100% sounds like they are meeting up to smoke weed behind the scenery. Um, he’s the king. I’m sure his only job at Snowflake Day is to make a r-r-r-r-royal decree that’s Snowflake Day. I just hope Music Man Stan and Uncle X (bless your heart, Uncle X) also got the invite.
  • Katerina Kitty Cat is legit good in the play for a preschooler. “Meow meow, ANOTHER present?” Perfection. (Purr-fection?) But also, why am I surprised? She’s always been theatrically gifted.

I get genuinely frustrated when Daniel freaks out and then am genuinely proud of him for pulling it together and problem solving with the lantern solution to the blackout. Guys, he really pulled it together!!!

That’s all. Oh, and, for those who celebrate it: Happy Snowflake Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment