December 3, 2012

Rainy Weekend

Yay!  I've been hoping for a rainy weekend because it makes it feel okay to be a lazy bones.

With the exception going for an epic-ly long run (I almost cried at the end, it was so long), after which I met two favorite friends for a fun brunch, I lazy bones-ed it up big times.

Some highlights:

1. Watching two (two!) movies, thanks to screeners my husband had...
Flight
Guys, go see it!  I totally liked it.  With the exception of the really good special effects, this movie totally could have been made in 1996, and I mean that as a compliment.  (Weren't the mid-90s like the Golden Age of Cinema for our generation?)  It was just missing Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts.

This is 40
"This is 40"?  More like "This is What Happens When You Are Successful And People Don't Say No to You So Can't Evaluate if Your Ideas are Good or Not".  Zing!  (Travis had a better pitch: "This is 40... out of 100")

This is how I think this movie got made: Judd and Leslie were out to dinner with some industry friends, telling a story about their kids being adorable and precocious but also driving them nuts (kids!), and their friends went "OMG, this is SO FUNNY.  Seriously, you guys have to write all this down and turn it into a movie!  I'm so serious!"  And then they did.  Without thinking about how a movie should be, like, interesting and maybe have a point.

To be fair, there were a few things I liked in this movie:
  • Performances by Iris Apatow, Charlene Yi and Melissa McCarthy
  • The whole thing took place in our neighborhood, so it was fun to see where they shot certain scenes
  • A few funny moments that felt authentic
But overall, don't go see this.  I was really excited when we got this screener, but listen to me: you don't need to.  It's not very good, and it's very annoying.

Actually, I hope some of you see this so we can get together and talk about what specifically was so annoying about it.  I have theories.

2. Wearing these Lululemon sweatpants all weekend...
My Christmas wish for all of you is that you could have these pants and wear them all the time.  They are so comfortable and snuggly.  (They are mostly sold out online, but they have a few sizes left.)  Yes, they are a very bizarre cut with a gathered elastic ankle, but that is a huge component of what makes them so fantastic to wear.

3. Four episodes of Law & Order: SVU...
These episodes were all from season 2.  Different characters!  Different Mariska haircuts!  I am so glad I got hooked on this show!

4. Sunday New York Times with some especially ridiculous articles...
This Jude Law feature was my favorite.  The article spent a lot of time talking about how Jude Law is 40 now, and what a relief it is for Jude not to be a young pretty boy anymore... Now his looks are fading (I'm serious; this is the article), and he can really just relax and focus on being an actor without the burden of being handsome and stuff, since now he's old and gross.

And then it goes on to show many different pictures of Jude Law looking very, very handsome, per usual.  Amazing.

How did you spend the first December weekend of the year?

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious. Love your review of THIS IS 40. I want those Yoga Pants, big time. I might just copy you and go get them. Eric and I watched about 5 episodes of Law & Order last week, including last night. I love them all, but I don't love the ones that are super "out there" like did you see the one about the girls with the elfin ear surgery? Much prefer domestic disputes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, haven't seen the elfin ear one (but curious!!!). I have a feeling sticking with just SVU will be right up your alley.

      Delete