December 4, 2012

Tip Tuesday: A New Way to Think About Holiday Eating

Every internet visit this time of year seems to feature a lot of articles about ways to avoid gaining weight over the holidays.  ("Make a plan before you go out!", "Only allow yourself one dessert!", "Station yourself near the veggie platter!", "Eat before you go!")

I recently read an interesting tip that was initially about weight loss generally, but I thought could be a good intention to set for the month of December.

Instead of making rules around what you can't eat, just make sure to eat 6 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.


Back when I was doing my cleanse last February, I followed the same standards, and I noticed that it kind of forces you into healthy choices because it takes effort to eat 6 servings of produce.  If it's 3pm and you realize you haven't had any fruits or vegetables that day, you're going to reach for a piece of fruit instead of a holiday cookie because you've got numbers to hit!

I'm sure this concept wouldn't work for everyone, but I know I'm much better motivated by positive choices rather than deprivation rules.

What do you think?  Would this work for you?

2 comments:

  1. This totally works! I go through phases where I do something similar -- I try to make every snack include fruits or vegetables. I eat so many more vegetables this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how just eating a salad for lunch instead of something else gives you, like, a million vegetable servings immediately!

      Delete