December 12, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Holiday Tipping

This is the time of year when a bunch of articles pop up about holiday tipping etiquette.

These always freak me out at first, because there seems to be a really long list of people who I supposedly owe $100, until I realize I don't have many service providers who are the tip recipient type. (Uh, no Emily Post. I don't have a regular massage therapist, physical trainer, pool cleaner, or doorman.)

:: image via pinterest ::

If you do have regular service providers, the standard guide seems to be "pay an extra time". So, ideally, you'd tip:
- your housekeeper: whatever you pay for a cleaning visit
- your hair stylist: double the tip your normally leave
- your regular babysitter: what you generally pay for a night of services

Pretty straight forward. And expensive. Sigh.

Also, it seems like every year I hear people talk about tipping mail carriers. Heads up, folks: they are federal employees. They can't accept cash or gift cards. (Only gifts clearly under $20 in value or a snack/treat.)

Remember: be a sweetheart of a tipper -- always include a handwritten note with your tip expressing gratitude for services provided throughout the year.

Emily Post's full tipping guide is here.

Who will you be tipping this season?

3 comments:

  1. Something that warms my heart: we have had the same mail carrier in Orinda for as long as I can remember. We give him cookies every year. He says hi and welcomes me home when I visit. I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Additional memory inspired by my own comment: do you remember on our cruise when I told Singh I loved Zoltan at the breakfast buffet after we stayed up all night and he got mad and said "you don't know what love is"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tara
    - That is so sweet about your mail carrier! What a great American story :)
    - Not too sure how the comments are related, but how could I forget your love for Zoltan?

    ReplyDelete