January 23, 2013

2013 to-do: Go camping

Guys. I've never been camping.

This didn't deter some of our wedding guests from giving us a bunch of REI gift cards, though. (Maybe it's the Oregonian husband?) And we were gifted with a very nice tent and one sleeping bag.

My point is, we have some gear now, and we can get the rest for "free", and that means I have no excuse to have never been camping. (Also, Travis recently got a Subaru so this is, like, destiny. We'll drive somewhere and wear plaid and be a Subaru commercial. We just need a golden retriever.)

:: pretty! ::

We talked about going last Easter weekend, but a few things came up last minute and it didn't happen then, or any other time in 2012. But, mark my words: 2013 will not escape me! (Although truthfully, I'm very scared.)

Any tips for a novice camper?

Any ideas of easy first camping trips outside of Los Angeles? Where can we go where we won't be surrounded by people? That doesn't seem like the point of camping...

P.S. I saw the premier of "The Following" on Monday, and it was so so so so so scary. I don't know if I can see a scary movie!

9 comments:

  1. HELLO PLEASE VISIT ME FOR CAMPING

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best tip: bring your Mom! j/k.

    I don't know if this "counts," but some of my first camping experiences involved beach camping. And there are a lot of lovely places up along the coastline between here and Santa Barbara. There are campsites near the beach and you're never too far from civilization. Plus you don't have to worry about bears.

    I've also really wanted to try Joshua Tree? I think that'd be fun because there's an actual town to visit during the day.

    Also, really work on figuring out a good pillow situation! I don't know what that is, but if you're car camping, you could just bring an actual pillow from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I love this idea! After reading Cheryl Strayed I wanted to go on a hike, but then I remembered who I am, and realized maybe one of those tents with a bathroom nearby would be the best version for me. Keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you and EJ do a big California trip, you guys have to stay in the yurts at Treebones in Big Sur!

      Delete
  4. I haven't camped since I was a kid. I just don't get the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean. Yeah. I want to give it a shot tho. But, yeah.

      Delete
  5. Try El Capitan Camping, it's a State Park in Santa Barbara walking distance to the beach. You don't even need gear you can glam camp in Yurts or cabins if you prefer. Happy Camping.

    ReplyDelete