January 15, 2013

Some noteable articles this week, plus a tip for reading content for free

Guys.

I have some stuff you should read, for various reasons.

:: this whole issue is really, really good ::

1. The Carefully Cultivated Soul of SoulCycle from this week's New York. This is my favorite article I've read in a while. I love the specific kind of nuts it is. I hope this quote piques your interest, but maybe it only really is entertaining in the context of the whole article:
"Favored riders may be pulled to the coveted front row or even asked to ride the instructor bike, which was “the scariest, most thrilling experience of my life,” according to one SoulCycler."

But whatever - it's a fast fun read. Please do it.

2. While you're over at New York, you might as well check out Elizabeth Wurtzel's essay, which has the internets all worked up. (Here is one notable response. You can also read the comments after the article if you want to hear people get riled up.)

3. If you like reading about naughty Hollywood (which is basically everyone), then you simply have to check out Here Is What Happens When You Cast Lindsay Lohan in Your Movie from The New York Times Magazine. I mean, pretty self explanatory from the title. (Thanks for the nudge to read this, Halie!)

4. And just because everyone's talking about it, there's this The End of Courtship article from the NYT Style section. I mean, these trend pieces are always fun to read, but really: is it a "trend" if it's just an obvious thing that everyone has already talked to death?

And, as promised, here's my tip for reading online content for free:
If you go to a source and the url looks like this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/magazine/here-is-what-happens-when-you-cast-lindsay-lohan-in-your-movie.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

...and you find yourself locked out because you've already read too much free content...

Simply delete everything after the "?". You're welcome.

5 comments:

  1. Ummm that tip is amazing. Also I'm soooo excited to read the soul cycle article!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “What does he think I’m doing?” she said. “I’m going to my friend’s house to drink cheap white wine and watch episodes of ‘Dance Moms’ on demand.

    God that end of courtship article was depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very quiet day at work. So thanks for giving me so many choice reads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, just lost my long comment! i will try to recreate.

    i've read a few of these, sort of.

    i guiltily could not put down the lohan piece and have had really good conversations with people who have read it, which is like we've all taken the same trip. of course, we know she's annoying but you can't believe just how wild/crazy it is.

    i can't read wurtzel anymore. she drove me bonkers after that 1% wives are ruining feminism piece.

    i did not know the nyt hot tip, but i want them to stay in business (pay wall) as long as possible. but maybe not, after that "courtship" piece? i saw the title and just thought, ugh, really? in 2013? i liked this line: but really: is it a "trend" if it's just an obvious thing that everyone has already talked to death?

    soul cycle piece = must read. feel like i'll get all judgey and LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point on the "hot tip". I think it works with ALL protected subscription content. So, I subscribe to the NYT (guys, you all should! Support quality journalism!), but sometimes I don't have my logoin, etc. But I would totally use this on, like, the LA Times.

      Delete