January 17, 2013

2013 to-do: See a scary movie

I am totally scared of scary movies. I know lots of people love the horror/paranormal genre, but it just freaks me the f out, and in a traumatic way, not a fun way.

Honestly, I don't even know that I've seen any scary movies. (Does Scream count? Or was that more just a cultural phenomenon? Because I saw that one. PS - It was scary! Even with Courteney Cox.)

It seems that a lot of people like scary movies because you get all riled up, but then know that the premises are so absurd that there's nothing to worry about. I have a hard time with the second part. After seeing Rosemary's Baby in college, I remember crying from fear and genuinely asking my boyfriend: "Do you promise not to sell your soul to the devil and in exchange let the devil rape me to impregnate me with devil spawn and then let everyone trick me into letting me think that I'm nuts? Do you???"

Anyway, I want to enjoy this genre! It seems fun! But I'm... a-sceeeerrrrrrrrred! So I decided to make one of my 2013 "to-do"s be to see a scary movie (maybe, just maybe, more than one).

This new movie Mama looks pretty spook-tacular! And it stars Jessica Chastain (who I like) and Jamie Lannister (!!!! who I LOVE!), so maybe that means it's also pretty good? What do you think?


Do you like scary movies? Any ideas on how I should tackle this undertaking? Start in movie theaters or at home? Will I have nightmares?

4 comments:

  1. oh my, you are so much braver than me!!! I really can not watch scary movies, and the few that I have seen haunt me to this day. Ahhhh, I am too scared to even watch previews. That Mama one looks so terrifying. I freaked out even seeing a little bit of it! I am even a little bit freaked out by the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland. But I am so proud of you for setting such a scary goal!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your reaction to "Dead Again". Maybe you should reconsider:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm a broken record here, but what about HOMELAND? It's THE BEST! like 20 scary movies that keep on giving :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry. I haven't seen "Homeland", but I DID just see the premiere to "The Following", which was basically the scariest thing ever created ever. Ever.

      Delete