December 6, 2011

Gifts for Moms!

A friend asks:
What kind of things do you get your mom for Christmas?  I am always thinking of good things for dad (mostly books), but mom is harder.

In response, I say:
Happy to help out!  I'm pretty good at moms.  Also, I can't believe you find it easy to shop for your dad.  Wow.

Okay, here's how I think about mom gifts: I basically get my mom stuff I want, that would also be mom appropriate.  So it's kind of like shopping for yourself, only you buy it and then give it away.

Most moms think their daughters are pretty cool ladies (...right, Mom?), so it's nice when you get your mom a gift that isn't just a "mom gift" but something cool that you can get excited about together.  Especially if it's "Omigod, I also got one for myself... it's totally the best!"  That proves that it's not just a mom gift, but a legitimate gift that you think is great.

So without further ado... here are 12 ideas for mom gifts!

Accessories

geo print $48

I've gotten my mom a few scarves in the past... I just think about what colors she tends to wear and stick to that family.  I like a lighter weight that can be worn year-round with a lot of different shades featured so it can match more outfits.  Rectangles tend to be easier to wear than squares.  Nordstrom always has a lot of nice options in the $30-$60 range.




Sometimes moms carry wallets for a long time and don't notice that they are getting really beat up.  What a perfect opportunity for a daughter to sweep in and refresh her wallet for her!  This can also be a fun time to get an unexpected, fresh color, since it's not something that's always visible, but can be a fun pick-me-up insider her purse.  Before buying, think about what size wallet she tends to carry, since this is usually a matter of personal taste.  I like this fun bright one.



My mom turned me onto Tom's, and I am obsessed.  They are way more comfortable than I imagined (arch support!), and I love that they don't require socks.  Now you can turn your mom onto them!  This pair's bright yellow sole makes me smile.

For the Home

I know I've already talked about how much I like envirosax, but I really like them and would give them to my mom if I hadn't already gifted her with a set a few years ago.  They fold up small, are washable, and the straps are the perfect length to comfortably put over your shoulder or hold by your side.


Yet again, an item I've gotten for my mom (and she loves it).  Now I want one for myself!  It doesn't require you to twist your wrist as many pepper grinders do, so if your mom has wrist issues, this definitely a keeper.



As long as you're giving the pepper a makeover, you might as well give the salt a little class, too!  What a lovely piece to keep by the stove.



A beautiful return address stamp makes corresponding so much more fun and elegant.  These are all over etsy (in the $20-$60) range, but this one is especially pretty.  Practical moms may prefer a self-inking variety, though.


Ici Silicone Tools $10 - $39.95

A few years ago, I took it upon myself to fill my mom's stocking with a refreshed set of kitchen utensils.  Hers were looking pretty worse for the wear, and having spent so much time with them, she didn't notice.  I kept seeing so many cute ones in cheery colors and thought my mom deserved some.  The ones above are from Williams-Sonoma, but there's no need to pay full price -- any Marshall's, TJ Maxx or Home Goods should have a great variety in the $2-$6 range.


Beauty


If I find a great beauty product that's fool-proof and a great value, I love to spread the good word!  I think my mom would love wearing this easy to apply (I use my finger) eyeshadow that shimmers in a classy way, stays on all day and never creases.  (Magic!)


Moms aren't always the best at splurging for themselves, so a basic product that feels great can be just the little something she might like to feel just as special as you know she is.  Every gal who's gotten her paws on Josie Maran's Argan Oil knows what I'm talking about.

Reading

I learned to love to read because of my mom.  I always try to pass along whatever books I've been loving lately.  And as you know, I've been loving this trilogy lately.  I just passed it onto my mom, and she is having a blast with it!  (Moms also like normal grown-up books too.)



A magazine subscription can be a nice monthly reminder of your love.  I know my mom has enjoyed Cook's Illustrated.  New York Magazine is also a fun (weekly!) read... like The New Yorker but easier to digest, but still smart.

And there you have it!  Everything I know about giving things to moms.

Bye!

7 comments:

  1. Argan oil?! Y tu, Joey.

    Just kidding. I must be the last American cosmo lady to have not tried this.

    I like your theory on shopping for Moms.

    And I want those toms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm sending it to my sister, who drew my mom's name in our family, and has been having a hard time coming up with something.

    I have also gotten my mom some new kitchen items to refresh her scary looking old ones. I guess my pretty bridal shower gifts won't looks so fresh in 30 years, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! My mom read this and endorsed all the items. So... mom seal of approval. Buy with confidence :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a VERY cool lady and always delight us with very thoughtful gifts. I feel very lucky to be your mom!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Kathy endorsed this list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stop channeling your mother. It's creepy.

    xoxox,

    -- your sister in law.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This mom LOVES the hobo wallet in purple (ahem, ahem) :o)

    ReplyDelete