December 5, 2011

The Ultimate Christmas Music Mix

I am so excited to present my first ever guest blog post, by my dear friend Tara.  Tara is totally qualified to speak to the wonders of Christmas music because (a) she loves Christmas, (b) she loves music, (c) she lives in Alaska, which is literally a winter wonderland.


So without further ado... here we go!


Happy Holidays, guys!  Joey asked me to do a guest blog post about Xmas music, knowing as she does how completely and unironically I adore this genre of music.  I was thrilled to do so, not least because it gave me a rock solid excuse to listen to Xmas music with abandon before Thanksgiving to perfect my mix.  The only misgivings I ever have about the arrival of Xmas music season is that it means my local Lite Rock station starts playing all holiday songs!!!  Why must my enjoyment of one completely uncool genre of music over the airwaves come at the expense of another?  Woe is me!

But I digress.  I made you guys a totally sweet Xmas music mix!  I am hoping it will expose you to some Xmas music with which you may not already be familiar.  All of songs on my mix are by “modern” artists (i.e. Frightened Rabbit) or otherwise “cool” artists (i.e.
Johnny Cash).  I am not giving you any Mannheim Steamroller or Vienna Boys’ Choir--I am about to go all Xmas-music-snob on all y’all.  

Now, my Xmas mix may not be to everyone’s liking.  A lot of people say they don’t like Xmas music at all--but really, Xmas music is just like any other type of music--there is good Xmas music, and there is bad.  In fact, it’s even harder to lump all Xmas music in together, because although the themes may all be the same, there is a wide variety in genre in style.  (Saying you hate Xmas music isn’t like saying you hate country music or rap music--it’s more like saying you hate all songs about love.  How could you say such a thing??  You are a heartless individual.)

Even if you DO tend to like Xmas music, you may need some time to adjust to the modern songs, or you may never really accept these modern songs as being evocative of Xmas.  You may want nothing but nostalgia from your Xmas music, i.e. songs that were playing on your parents’ record player when you were a kiddo and--spoiler alert!--still believed in Santa Claus.  (This is, incidentally, an approach to music that transcends the Xmas genre... some people, at some point, simply stop taking real pleasure in discovering and falling in love with new music.  If you still persist in listening to Dave Matthews Band, you may be one of those people.  I still love you though!)

To you folk I say: you are missing out!  There is so much beautiful modern Xmas music.  And just think, if you play this music for your kiddos, they will learn to love it and identify it with their wonderful Xmases, just like we did with Merry Christmas Baby and Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), which were relatively new when we were young but are now totally classic!  I now get the same fuzzy-holiday-family-snowy-cookie-tinsely feelings from Low’s beautiful “Just Like Christmas” and the ridiculous yet sublime “Hooray for Santy Claus” as I do from the majestic “O Holy Night” and the annoying yet quintessential “The Chipmunk Song.”

A side note on mix-making more generally.  First, I believe all mixes should have a title, and I like to draw my title from a somewhat random lyric in one of the songs on the mix.  Listen for it!  Second, I believe all mixes should be kept to 1h20m or less because I believe you should be able to burn it to a CD and hand it to somebody, all old-school-like.  Also, keeping the mix to a set length forces you to curate the mix more carefully!  Finally, the website where I posted the mix, 8Tracks, will let you listen to the whole mix all the way through in order once, but you’re only allowed to “skip” a couple of songs while listening, and the second time you listen, it will put the tracks in random order--annoying, because I have METICULOUSLY chosen this order of tracks for the perfect listening experience.
With that, here is my gift to you this holiday season--my Ultimate Xmas Mix.  Don’t you DARE wait till Christmas morning to open it!  

Here’s the track listing:

1 // Cry Cry Christmas | The Sweptaways Feat. Magnus Carlson & The Gray Brigade | 3:26
2 // Christmas Day | She & Him | 3:24
3 // Just Like Christmas | Low | 3:08
4 // Merry Christmas, Baby | The Beach Boys | 2:27
5 // It Came Upon A Midnight Clear | Oh, Starling | 4:25
6 // Christmas In Prison | John Prine | 3:13
7 // Santa Claus Is Coming to Town | Mason Jennings | 2:09
8 // Away In A Manger | Sufjan Stevens | 2:54
9 // Be My Valentine On Christmas | Glenna Bell | 3:12
10 // Darlin' (Christmas is Coming) | Over The Rhine | 3:35
11 // Maybe This Christmas | Ron Sexsmith | 1:53
12 // All I Want For Christmas Is You | Mariah Carey | 4:01
13 // Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) | Darlene Love | 2:50
14 // I'd Like To Have An Elephant For Christmas | Hank Thompson | 2:03
15 // O Come, O Come, Emmanuel | Belle & Sebastian | 3:27
16 // Joy To The World | Clem Snide | 2:28
17 // All I Ever Get For Christmas Is Blue | Over The Rhine | 4:25
18 // God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen | Bright Eyes | 1:52
19 // 2000 Miles | The Everyothers | 3:23
20 // Little Gray Donkey | Johnny Cash | 4:43
21 // Christmas Tree On Fire | Holly Golightly | 2:54
22 // Happy Christmas (War is Over) | The Polyphonic Spree | 4:18
23 // Hooray for Santy Claus | Senor Tonto Christmas Combo | 2:03
24 // Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas | Scissors For Lefty | 2:26
25 // Auld Lang Syne | Martin Sexton | 2:29

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so fun! Love the idea of listening to xmas music with abandon. Tara is clearly one of those cool people with good taste that shines through in her music preferences. I've heard of none of these people, but they sound cool. The only song on here I recognize is my FAVORITE christmas song, that mariah carey number, that I get so excited every time I hear. I feel at once validated and inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already opened it...but I'm traveling on Christmas day! Don't I get a free pass? I love it and want to listen to it every day until Christmas. Thanks Tara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have your blog priority bookmarked, (obvs!) but now I need to bookmark this page as well. Prepared for this year and the next. Thank you, Tara!

    ReplyDelete