September 7, 2012

Non-toxic adventures: Foundation

Good news, guys: Based on my experiences, I think you will have a totally okay time finding a foundation you like!

Bad news: As far as I've seen, there's no such thing as a totally decent $10 non-toxic foundation.

For those of you just tuning in, I've been trying to rid my beauty/personal care routine of weird chemical-y stuff.  Here's how it all started.  I've already explored moisturizer, facial sunscreen and shaving cream.  Now you're all caught up!

Two things to keep in mind as you read on:
1.  I'm not gifted at applying makeup.  I feel like I missed that step of adolescence where you get really good at primping.  So if I can apply this stuff and not look weird, it means it's very user friendly.
2.  Research warned me that I couldn't expect things of non-toxic makeup that I have out of my non-non-toxic makeup.  Specifically, stuff that isn't made with tons of chemicals doesn't stay put without budging for 12 hours.  So get used to the idea of midday re-application.  But on the bright side, know that you're reapplying normal nourishing stuff to your face, so it's like a luscious treat in the afternoon for your skin!

I've tried two, and I have a review from a friend on a third, so here we go:

Vapour Beauty
:: Vapour Beauty foundations, $34-$48 ::
Vapour Beauty's line is made "entirely from organic plants, minerals and vitamins."  So pretty darn clean.  They also come in a shade pale enough for me (unlike 100% Pure, which I hear is great).  I actually used the second-to-lightest color, which means I'm basically a bronzed goddess.

Vapour Beauty's website has some pretty cool features for those who want to try out their makeup but are nervous about buying makeup online:
1.  You can email them a picture of yourself and the brand/color of foundation/other makeup you usually use, and they will tell you what to buy.
2.  You can return anything for any reason within 30 days, although you are responsible for shipping costs.
3.  For $15, you can request samples of up to 5 products (I think they're really mini, but still...), and your sample pack comes with a $10 store credit.

Instead of taking advantage of any of those nice things, I emailed the company and asked who carried their products in Los Angeles.  Turns out a store that is literally 2 blocks from me carries it.  So that was easy.

I picked up the Atmosphere Luminous Foundation ($34, comes in a stick form).  The other option is Atmosphere Soft Focus Foundation ($48, comes in a liquid form).  I picked the Luminous because sticks are easier for me to work with, and it was less expensive.  They have a chart to help you decide which foundation is better for you, but it was confusing.  For example, Luminous is supposed to give you a "glowing, luminous finish" and Soft Focus has a "soft, satin finish."  ...Huh?

I also got the concealer ($22, stick form), which I regret because I think the foundation's coverage is fine on its own.  (I find myself regretting this purchase more than is probably necessary, considering that I'm very guilty of buying produce that goes bad before I use it every. single. week.  And I will probably use this concealer at some point.  DROP IT, JOANNA.  IT'S FINE.  Okay.  Sigh.  Better now.)

So, what do I think of the product?  It's... different.  I need to get used to it.  There's something a little waxy about the texture for me.  That said, it looks totally normal, and the color is a great match (which is huge).  I didn't feel like my face looked any different than when I used other foundations (also huge).  It just requires a different kind of application and blending process than I'm used to, and I haven't yet mastered that technique.  (The product is activated by the heat in your skin.  You apply it directly from the stick and blend with your fingers.)

I'm moderately happy with this foundation, and would continue to explore the product line as I move into other non-toxic makeup components. 

Bare Minerals
bareMinerals - bareMinerals SPF 15 Original Foundation
:: bare minerals spf 15 original foundation, $27 ::

Okay, we all know about Bare Minerals.  (Right?)  No surprises here.  (Remember in, like, 1999 when Bare Escentuals became Bare Minerals, and then all of a sudden, you couldn't buy "Fog" scented lotion anymore?!) 

I've been using Bare Minerals and/or Bare Minerals knock-offs on and off for the past 12 years.  I'd get really into it and then think it wasn't working well/looked weird.  I remember the last time I tried to use it again was in fall 2010 on a trip (because I didn't have to worry about packing liquids with it), and Travis told me my makeup looked really heavy (he said it nicely, by the way), and I was horrified and stopped using Bare Minerals immediately.

Once I got on this non-toxic kick, I busted out the Bare Minerals again to give it another shot and lo and behold... it did look kind of cakey!  I did some research, and it turned out I was using a brush that gives really full (i.e. heavy) coverage, so I switched to this medium coverage brush, applying with a light hand, and I am super happy with the results. 

I've heard great things about Laura Mercier's mineral foundation so I'll try that one when I'm done with my Bare Minerals.  (Note: Laura Mercier isn't a non-toxic makeup line.  Just the mineral foundation.)

RMS

RMS Beauty "Un" Cover-Up | Spirit Beauty Lounge
:: rms beauty "un" cover-up, $38 ::


RMS Beauty has a great reputation in the non-toxic beauty world (like, supermodels use it), and I'd heard a lot of glowing reviews about this product.  It's the only foundation-esque product in this line, and you're supposed to just dab it where you need it and blend.

Unfortunately for me, it's really best for those with yellow undertones to their skin, and my skin color is basically "light pink," so I knew it wasn't worth trying.

Fortunately for me, my friend Kerry has started using it.  (You remember Kerry -- she got me started on this whole non-toxic kick!)  Here are her thoughts:
This purchase was a real whim/risk because I bought it based on (1) loving the luminizer and (2) a total guess based on the website.  [ed: ballsy move, girl!]  To my surprise, it works shockingly well -- enough to give my skin a light even tone.  It's not quite tough enough to hide a few broken capillaries but what it lacks in crazy fortitude it makes up for in a light natural coating to my skin. Everywhere else it succeeds in giving my skin a nice, even tone... so light that it doesn't look like I'm wearing makeup.  [ed: Remember in "Full House" when DJ told Stephanie the trick to wearing makeup was to look like you weren't wearing any?  Looks like RMS nailed it.]  I'd definitely buy this next time and won't be going back to Chanel :)


And some learnings...
As I continue to buy non-toxic, I'm going to try to shop at places where I know they have great return policies.  Non-toxic stuff just feels different and works differently, and it would be really nice to be able to return $30 item I'm just not wild about.

And some questions for you:
Have you tried any non-toxic foundations?  What are your thoughts? 

What stores have great return policies that might carry some of this stuff?  Sephora and Nordstrom for sure... what else?

No comments:

Post a Comment