September 18, 2012

Tip Tuesday!: Cleaning Jewelry

When it comes to cleaning jewelry, I am the laziest.  Lazier even than I am with car washes (which I get every 3-4 months).  A jeweler acquaintance taught me this trick that makes it pretty darn easy to clean your jewelry.  (Although I still only do it every 6 months, maximum.)

Take a little bowl, put some 409 in it, and soak your jewelry for as long as you can stand to be apart from it.  (After 10 minutes you'll see a difference, but it's good to leave it in over night.)

:: soaking in a little prep bowl ::

Some notes:
  • Yes, I realize 409 is totally not non-toxic.  I'm still working on personal care... haven't made it to cleaning supplies yet.
  • Supposedly this works even better if you microwave the 409 for a few seconds first.  (The 409 only -- not with the jewelry in it!)
  • The jeweler suggested I do this every week.  (Never gonna happen... but good to know you can't really over-do it.)
  • The amount of weird tiny debris floating in the 409 when I went back in the morning was gross.  Ew.

6 comments:

  1. This is a good tip--I would actually do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it would work with some of the more natural cleaners, like the method ones which I love so so much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely wouldn't HURT it. Maybe I can do a side by side comparison, with one earring in each :)

      Delete
  3. BTW, I totally did this last night, and now I'm wearing nice earrings Eric got me years ago that got SO dirty cuz they're silver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you rinse it off with water afterwards, before you put it back on? I used to use jewelry cleaner but now I use a Branson Ultrasonic Cleaner....best investment ever. Jewelry looks practically new. I can send you some pics if you want. Got the thing from sonicsonline.com a few months ago and I couldn't be happier with it.

    ReplyDelete