September 5, 2012

Advice: Dealing with Parents while Planning a Wedding

A newly engaged friend recently wrote me an email asking about juggling her and her fiance's wants for their wedding with her parents wants.

Here's her email:
I just got off the phone with my dad.  My parents looked at two venues in my hometown that [finance] and I are excited about, and he sounded very negative about them.  I'm getting nervous that my parents have something very different in mind for our wedding than [fiance] and I do.   I asked them last week to describe to me what they had in mind and they said they just want what I want.  I'm starting to think that isn't going to be the case.  They have been visiting very fancy places and loving them, and we really want a down-home backyard BBQ kind of feel - NOT a stuffy country club feel.

What do I do?  Just say "thanks for all the good information," or ask them to not waste their time since I know that isn't what we have in mind?
 

Of course, the 16-year-old girl in me wants to say "Okay, you're clearly not listening and creating frustration for yourself and me. so we will just do it in [the state we live in] and pick a venue out ourselves".  But I know that's now how I want to be during this process.

This was my response, modified for this post:
Girl, as long as there are weddings, there will be families bugging each other!  No matter what the size, scope, budget/who's paying, etc.  This is life.  Of course, it's so nice that your parents are enthusiastic about your wedding and want to be involved and help you look at venues.  But you know that.  You're just getting frustrated, and I understand why.

It's not "your" day, really
Supposedly, your wedding day is "your" (your plural - you and your fiancee) day.  But I didn't really realize until 2 weeks before my wedding that my wedding wasn't really about me and my husband; it was about me, my husband, and our parents, but especially my parents.  This is a day we've all thought about for years, in our own ways and variations.  (I don't think my dad had a secret "Joanna's Wedding" binder under the bed (but cute if he did!), but I'm sure he thought about walking me down the aisle, and hoped I wouldn't wind up marrying a jerk.)

Another thing I didn't realize was all my mom's weird stresses that bugged me (like needing to know three weeks in advance what color nail polish I was going to wear) was so she could feel like she was doing everything she could to help me have the perfect day.  Which is so sweet.  I just thought she was being annoying, but really, she was going to call the nail place and make sure they had it in stock.  Again, so sweet.

It's a hard situation to advise on, because every couple is different, every bride is different, every bride's parents are different, every bride's relationship with her parents is different.  Luckily, for a lot of my wedding planning, my mom and I were on the same page (or, in hindsight, maybe she was just very sweet about it and agreeing with what I wanted).

Think about what you'll remember in a year
For some perspective, when I think back to my wedding, here's what I most remember and cherish:
- our ceremony, which felt so personal and "us" because we lovingly crafted it
- our first dance, which was so fun and bizarre because we giggled about it the week before
- not wanting to have to go in from cocktail hour because we were already loving our wedding and it was nice out
- dancing with all our friends and family (even when I had no idea where my husband was for most of it)

None of those "top memories" had to do with the venue, the food, the decor, the flowers, my dress, etc.  I generally liked our venue, but I also didn't really feel I had a lot of choices because a number of other factors that were important to me limited my options (proximity to where I grew up, hotels and airport).  There was also a lot I didn't like about our venue.  (In fact, it was kind of totally weird.)

Spoiler alert: Parents are hard.  Fact.
Also, don't forget that parents are the best at being able to tell you what's wrong with your ideas.  That's kind of what they do.  (One day we'll be parents and will be awesome at this too.)  You are welcome to ignore it.  But remember they never mean to be jerks about it.  They're just trying to steer you in the direction they think is best.  It's okay if they're a little off base with what you want.  It's only natural -- you haven't lived with them since you were 18.  It's been a while.

Planning a wedding is an intimate thing to do with your parents.  You only do it once, and it's great if you can all be excited about it.  In hindsight, I would have compromised on more things for my parents.  For example, I wish I'd let my mom co-walk me down the aisle with my dad like she wanted; I wished I'd dealt with being uncomfortable and done a short official father-daughter dance.  But in spite of that, I think (hope?) that my parents felt loved during the wedding planning process and during the wedding.

It's normal that your parents might be acting out at this time because they're officially "losing" you; it's weird and antiquated, since you've been an independent woman for a while now, but I think it still can feel that way.

Concluding thoughts, and a sample dialogue
So, in short (are you still reading?  wow!), I'd suggest you try to hear them out and see if you can get comfortable with taking some of their ideas.  And see if they can get comfortable taking yours.

If it feels really important to you to do certain things your way, you can try a dialogue like this:
"Mom and Dad, this is such an exciting time for me, and I hope you're excited too.  I want this to be a really fun thing for us all to plan together, but I know it's going to have some rough patches.  In fact, this decision about _____ is probably one of those rough patches.  It would be so easy and pleasant if we all wanted the same things, but in this instance, I really want _____ [my idea], and can't get comfortable with ______ [your idea].  I wish I could want what you want, but it just doesn't feel authentic, and I want this day to feel authentic for me and [fiance].  I hope as we continue planning, we can find a lot of other things we're both excited about.  What are your thoughts?"

Does that sound so cheesy?  If so, know this: I seriously had almost that exact same dialogue with my parents.  Fun game: Can you guess what it was about?


If you've planned a wedding, how did the process go with your parents?  In hindsight, would you do anything differently?
 

8 comments:

  1. good stuff in here! i think the biggest point that resonates with me is that it's not your day. if you want it to be Your Day, then elope. it's really a day for the parents and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my friends made an interesting point when I was planning my wedding (which was in the backyard of a farmhouse, not in the hotel ballroom my in-laws wanted): many people from our parents' generation have not experienced the offbeat, casual, DIY, full-of-love weddings that people in our generation have. So when you tell them, "I want to get married next to a haystack," they have NO CONCEPT of how that could be better than the swan-shaped ice sculpture they have in mind. That's one argument for sticking to your guns about the venue, I think.

    I didn't have any struggles with my own mother, which was wonderful, but I realized midway through planning that my future MIL wasn't trying to bug me -- she was just really excited about the wedding and wanted to do whatever she could to help. So having some no-pressure assignments for moms, like tracking down addresses and RSVPs or ironing napkins or whatever, can help occupy them so you can do other Very Important Things like research burlap options.

    Sorry moms, for talking about you like toddlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT point, Anjali. I totally forgot that issue.... that the wedding concept of the last 15 years is totally different than what weddings were for all the years before that. It didn't used to be this big, lavish manifestation-of-who-the-married-couple-truly-is thing. It's fun, for sure, but with choices come complications.

      Delete
  3. Ditto EVERYTHING Anjali said. My poor mom had to explain to her generation of friends that I was getting married in my parents' driveway. It's a lovely driveway, but it is a driveway and I know now that she was humiliated by the idea but then really liked the execution. Bonus that her friends still talk about how beautiful it was.

    Also, as Kerry mentioned, my venue of choice was dependent on my grandfather being there. He couldn't travel and he was comfortable at my parents' house. So that's where we got married. End of story. The day does belongs to more people than you and your fiance, but at least you get to choose that group.

    Joanna, your mom calling the nail salons is the sweetest thing ever. I hope I'm that good of a mom!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah -- after all her calling, they didn't even have the color! (And it was super normal -- OPI Big Apple Red.) My mom was so sad. :(

      Aw, I want to see pics of your driveway wedding!

      Delete
  4. I am so happy I found this. Fiance and I have been engaged for a little over a year now and we have 6 more months to go. I wanted to elope; I knew that both sets of our parents were consistently going to complain about everything. I swear for a while I thought my mom and his mom were taking turns on who could make me more miserable during the process. I also got really frustrated because my future mother-in-law will never come to me with her issues, but to Fiance who generally has no idea what the heck she is talking about. So, I have said time and time again that planning a wedding is the worst thing that's ever happened to me. That being said, my friends keep telling me to ignore it and to just continue going about my wedding planning. It's getting a little easier, but I keep feeling it's the calm before the storm. That's why I googled "How to deal with parents while planning a wedding" and stumbled across this. Thanks for the valuable advice and reminder about what the day is about! :)

    champagneandsuburbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this blog post - It's comforting knowing that so many of us are dealing with the same things. I totally get the "who could make me more miserable". My wedding is tomorrow, and on the day before, my mother is still at it. She is texting me about how stressed she is! Mind you, she has not planned a single aspect of the wedding. I have no idea what she could possibly be stressed about! haha. Hence the reason I felt the need to read up on crazy mothers 24 hours before the big day. At some point it's easier to just laugh and roll your eyes with your fiancé, and remember that at the end of all of this is a dance party with your favorite people and a marriage to the love of your life :). Also, try to have a buffer on the day of so you can relax and enjoy the day! I told my sister to make sure my mom wasn't in the bridal suite allllll morning stressing us all out! :)

    ReplyDelete