September 27, 2012

Non-toxic Adventures!: Mascara

So here's the deal: when I look for a mascara, I want it to look like... va-va-voom intense lash-attack style.

Like they should be so big that people at work should whisper behind my back "Hey this is random, but do you think Joanna wears false eyelashes to work?  It sounds crazy, because it would mean she'd be applying them every morning... and it seems strange because she's so low-key and laid back*, and the rest of her makeup is so light, but I look at her lashes, and I can think of one thing and one thing only: they must be fake!"  I wish this was happening, but it's not because: (a) my co-workers would never have that conversation and (b) my eyelashes don't look close to looking fake, even though I gravitate toward the most intense mascaras I can find.

So here's the other part of the deal: as far as I know, non-toxic mascaras don't do this.  And I'd also heard that they run really easily.

Anyway, I was prepared to be disappointed when I tried Josie Maran's mascara.

Josie Maran - GOGO Instant Natural Volume Argan Mascara
:: Josie Maran GOGO Instant Natural Volume Argan Mascara $22 ::
And guys?  It's fine!  No one will think my eyelashes are fake, but it darkens nicely, doesn't clump, and even after a long, sweaty run, it didn't streak at all.  (I didn't put on mascara to go for a run, by the way.  It was already on for the day, and then I went out.)  It also washes off nicely without me rubbing so hard I lose eyelashes in the process, which is a huge plus.  One warning: the formula is a little... wet, so I found I had to develop an application technique, or else mascara would get all up in my eyelids.  But I figured it out, and it's fine.

But I've been missing my more mega-lashes, and I did a little poking on EWG's website.  And Josie Maran's mascara gets a score of 3 (3-6 = moderate hazard... it means (to me) "eh... not that bad, actually!"), and Christian Dior Diorshow Blackout Mascara gets a 4!  So I'm tempted to just go with that one.

What do you think?  Am I being a traitor to my own cause?  Or is it possible that some cosmetics really aren't even that bad to begin with?  What does it all mean?!  What do you think?


* Do you like how in this fake scenario I made my co-workers compliment me? :)

7 comments:

  1. Because your lashes aren't actually touching your face I don't think it counts if you go with a "4". :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to say I'm totally with you, but it's also getting all up in my eyes, which is the scariest of all!!!

      Delete
  2. THIS IS NOT THE POINT, but I hate how fake eyelashes are the new norm. I don't want to have to work that hard to look normal.

    Also, Melissa brings up an interesting point--is that the new bar for mascara? That eyelashes must then touch our faces? UGH.

    I think it's good to create positive scenarios about work because that's the reality you're creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry, as a tan, dark-haired girl, I don't know if you can ever understand the burden of waking up with basically invisible eyelashes. It makes me want huge eyelashes so badly, Also, thanks for the encouragement re: creating our reality!

      Delete
  3. Eh, maybe you're sabotaging yourself, but then again, maybe mascara can be the thing you decide to compromise on?

    Or maybe I'm just saying this, because despite the fact that I make my own all natural deodorant, lotion, etc. and wear all-natural cosmetics, I still buy Bare Escentuals Buxom lip gloss, which scores a big fat red 7 on the EWG site. Every time I run out, I think for about two minutes about buying something "better" and then cave because you'll pretty much have to pry that tube out of my cold, dead hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It seems unfair that the company that brought us Bare Minerals can bring us things that score a 7.

      But I guess I'm wondering... is a 4 even all that bad? Because I'd rather save my compromises for other things, like curly hair products, antiperspirant and Retin A.

      Delete
    2. I don't think I'd sweat a 4 on something like mascara, since as you mentioned, it doesn't even technically touch your face/skin. But you're going to do a post on curly hair products, right? I've finally quit shampoo and just use a natural conditioner, as well as baking soda and apple cider vinegar as needed to wash. I also use a decent, but not all-natural styling product that I like, but I'd be thrilled if you come up with better options!

      Delete