September 3, 2012

My Top 10 Running Songs This Summer

I do most of my personally selected music listening when I'm running.  Although I have a long commute, I tend to listen to the radio during the drive, which means I'm 
(a) very familiar with all the NPR correspondents (MEEEE-chele Norris.  Ha.)
(b) completely up to date on Top 40 (fun game to play next time you hear Maroon 5's "Payphone": notice that every single lyric is a cliche!)
(c) constantly having a love/hate relationship with Ryan's Roses (it's so dumb!  but it's so great!  but it's so dumb.  verdict: it's dumb.)

Whenever I'm getting geared up for an event, I take it as a good excuse to buy music on iTunes.  (Oh, and I'll consider a 5k or an upcoming "long-ish run" with a friend an event.  Any reason to buy new tunes.)

Here are 10 songs that were firing me up while getting ready for (and running) Hood to Coast:

Heartbreaker (feat. John Legend) - MSTRKRFT   
Aaaaaah... this beat is so great for exercising and getting fired up!  Purchase now!



Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - Looking Glass  
 It's just so peppy.  I can hardly stand it!  (Except I totally can stand it, because I love it!)


I Would Do Anything for You - Foster the People  
This whole album is really good.  Fun fact: I went to their concert last fall and was probably the oldest person there.


Song Away - Hockey
In business school, we had a "Mix Tape Club" where you would make mix CDs for a group of people.  (Wow.  After typing that sentence, I realize that really didn't need an explanation.)  Anyway, someone put this song on one of my CDs, and I got totally hooked on this band.


I Can Change - LCD Soundsystem
Thanks, Jen for recommending this on your running music post!

 
Anna Sun - Walk the Moon
This reminds me of The Killer's first album, in a good way.  (I never thought I was a Killers fan, but the one time I went to Coachella for one day, The Killers were the headliners (sort of lame, right?) and that one song with that part "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier"?  Well, I got really into it.  The end.)



Lose Yourself - Eminem
Question: Why didn't I own this until last week?
Answer: I don't even know!!!



Settle Down - No Doubt
Welcome back, you guys!  And with a nice Afro-vibe this time.  Also lovin' on Gwen, especially recently for saying there's no secret/trick to being fit -- you just exercise hard and diet every single day.  Ha.


Superbass - Nicki Minaj
This is my jam.  If you want to watch me rap it, JUST ASK!  I am super happy to oblige!

 
Power - Kanye West
This. Is. The. Sh*t.  Especially when you're tired and need some motivation. 
 
What are jamming on lately?  Always looking for recs!

8 comments:

  1. I love this post. Good music suggestions are the best, especially for work out music. My mixes are, like, ancient.
    I like Foster the People too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like some of them, especially the very little known song "Lose Yourself"... I am very cutting edge :)

      Delete
  2. I'm currently obsessed with "Real Life" by Tanlines, for its indie/80s/reggae(!!) vibe. (Their whole Mixed Emotions album is really good.)

    Do you ever listen to podcasts on your long drive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'll have to check out Tanlines! Sounds fun! I havent been much of a podcast person... any recs? This American Life gets... long for me.

      Delete
    2. Dinner Party Download keeps it short and snappy. I'm also a fiend for Radio Lab and they release a lot of shorts between their hour-long episodes. Listen to this one and see if you like it. Bonus: it's about running!

      Delete
    3. Ooh, yes! That's the one Radio Lab I remember! I will have to give it another shot. I like it when people do the talking for me in the car and I can just listen.

      Delete
  3. I am so excited to check out all these songs. I need some new running music BAD.

    Here are my recent (and all time) favorites:

    I Love It - Icona Pop
    Go Outside - Cults
    Some Nights - Fun.
    I'm Shipping Up to Boston - Dropkick Murphys
    Here It Goes Again - OK Go
    Wavin' Flag - K'Naan (world cup memories!!!)
    Tighten Up - The Black Keys
    Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) - Big & Rich
    She's Not There - The Zombies
    Play Your Part (Pt. 1), Play Your Part (Pt. 2) - Girl Talk (actually, ALL GIRL TALK is great for running)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg. Can't wait to download these. A couple comments:
      1. Some Nights was my major jam for, like, a month, and then it started to bug me? Am I bad?
      2. Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) -- I love that this makes your all time favorites list.

      Delete