November 19, 2011

Book Review!: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)


The question I’ve heard most in regards to Mindy Kaling’s new book of essays, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns), isn’t “Is it good?”, but “Should I buy it in hardback or wait?”

No one’s asking “Is it good?” because everyone who’s paying attention to Mindy  knows that homegirl is funny, smart and engaging.  So obviously this book won’t be a dud.

And it’s totally not a dud – it’s totally fun.  But if I’m answering the question of buy it now or later, I would say: Buy later, or borrow it from a friend.  (But if you’re really looking forward to it and need a distraction over the holidays while you’re staying at someone else’s family’s house, you should buy it now.  And the hardback is, like, $15 on Amazon.)

Here’s why:

(Okay, actually, I feel like I need to start with why I liked it before I launch into “why to wait” because then I’ll sound super critical when I really liked it.)

Okay, here’s why I liked it:
I liked it because I totally like Mindy and enjoyed the chance to hear more from her.  For those of you who didn’t follow her original, now-defunct-but-still-living-on-the-internet-blog, you should.  And you should also be following the newer version of her blog she re-upped once her book was soon to be released.  She is just a funny fun smart girly girl, and I thoroughly enjoy reading what she has to say.  I read what she writes, and I want to find a way to get in touch with her and go, “Okay, girl.  Enough already!  We should be best friends!  When are getting brunch and then buying iPhone cases and cute belts???  We basically like all the same things and think the same and would totally find the same stuff hilarious!!!”  But then I realize the beauty of Mindy is that basically every girl thinks that about her.  She is just fun and relatable, but on top of that, smart and funny.  Like if Lauren Conrad (circa The Hills’ peak popularity) had way more personality, brains and humor.  We all want to hang out with her!  And in this book, you get the opportunity to hang out with Mindy for 200+ pages.  Totally cool.

Okay, but back to why you don’t need to rush out and buy it THISSECOND:
The book feels lazy.  Like a publisher said “Hey Mindy.  You are hot right now.  Do you think you could write a book in 8 weeks?  If you did that, we could get it released in time for the holidays, and it could be a great gift book.”  And then they all went through with it.  Look, I’m sure it took more than 8 weeks (like 10 weeks probably), but the point is, it feels rushed.    Some essays are two pages.  Or, like, “Here’s my 5 favorite movies” and then just a list.  I don’t have an inherent problem with that… I like short things and lists, but I guess I expect more from a book. 

Some things I really enjoyed were:
  • An essay on the types of characters that appear in romantic comedies.  (It was published in the New Yorker as a teaser for this book, so if you’re dying to read it now (it’s really good, guys!), it’s right here.)
  • A lot of frank discussion on body image issues.  (I like it when honesty and comedy intersect.
  • An essay/list (essist?) entitled “Non-Traumatic Things That Have Made Me Cry”.  And there’s lots of other stuff like that in the book.


Some things that bugged me were:
  • Tons of “The Office” talk.  I could totally be way off-base here, but in 2011 is anyone dying to know more about “The Office”? 
  • An essay called “Jewish Guys” which I actually found offensive.   (All Jewish guys are hypochondriacs?  Please.  Seriously.)
  •  Lots of references to very recent things.  Like a scene in “Bridesmaids” or “The Voice.”  It left me thinking “How can this be in a BOOK that I can buy in a STORE??  Didn’t that JUST happen?  Even if you have adequate lead time, shouldn’t you need to think more about it before it hits the published page??”


But guys, I liked it.  I read it quickly.  I had fun.  You should just all borrow my copy.

2 comments:

  1. Ha. Well said. That is how it seemed from my peripheral vantage point...like, I love her and she is funnnny but this doesn't seem like a book with a soul it seems like a "product."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Sometimes it felt cultivated in a way specifically meant to be offensive to no one/likable to everyone. Very developed with an eye towards sales. Which honestly... who can fault that?

    ReplyDelete