November 7, 2011

My Favorite LA Breakfast Spot: Wendy’s Place Cafe


If someone told me it was okay for me to eat eggs 10 times a week (and that person would cut the toppings and wash the pan for me), I would.  Easily.  Basically there are three great foods in the world.  They are: lasagna, Thai food, and breakfast.  If you are one of those people who doesn’t like breakfast, I don’t get you.  Seriously, what is your deal?

While I am strangely okay with standing in line at Huckleberry, even on a Saturday at 9:30am, and I enjoy the poshness of brunch at Joe’s, to me, the single best breakfast in the greater Los Angeles area is found at Wendy’s in El Segundo.  I realize most of you won’t make the trek out there just for breakfast, but think about mixing it into your schedule next time you are going to LAX in the morning (mere minutes away!).

Wendy’s isn’t “old fashioned” or “classic”… it’s just… old.  Like it was erected mid-century, and literally nothing changed about it, except for the waitresses who are youthful and adorable.  Check out these dishes. 

Eating action shot!

And these Rockwell prints, like, from Rockwellian times.  (The wall décor is all Rockwell prints or Rockwell puzzles, laminated and framed.  Awesome.)

Wood panelling!

If you’re looking for a unique breakfast menu, don’t come to Wendy’s.  There are, like, four omelet choices, which I think are just some variation of eggs with cheese and/or bacon and/or vegetables.  (But seriously? What else do you want in an omelet?)  Then there’s the option of pancakes or French toast or just eggs, cooked to order.  Nothing fancy, but it’s all done right, and in an environment you simply can’t find in Los Angeles (or at least no where that I’ve found).

 So excited to eat... I have a meerkat face!

So check it out.  Order the Spanish Omelet or Jose’s Favorite, with hash browns (with peppers and onions) and an English muffin.  You will love it.  Cash only.

Wendy’s Place Café
107 W. Grand Ave.
El Segundo, CA 90245

But enough about Wendy's... What are your favorite LA breakfast spots?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I've never heard about this place. I like that place near your old digs in We Ho. We had Mexican eggsy breakfast there.

    ReplyDelete