August 8, 2012

Book review!: The Age of Miracles

When I first told my friend Sarah that I was reading this book and liking it, I described it like this: "It's kind of a coming-of-age, post-apocalyptic novel."  And Sarah replied, "I don't like coming-of-age or post-apocalyptic novels."  Which is a totally fair point.  Both those things sound sort of insufferable if you're not in a sophomore English class.  But somehow this book makes it work.

The 11 year old narrator is a smart, wise, perceptive narrator, not a weird precocious kid narrator.  It makes you so glad you're not in 6th grade anymore.  So I'd say it's really just a smart, not maudlin coming-of-age story that just so happens to be set mid-apocalypse.  And that sounds fine, right?

Good for: People who liked The Lovely Bones, but could do without all the rapin' and murderin'.

Watch out for: Parts being a little slow, re-liking coming-of-age novels

4 comments:

  1. hmmm. lovely bones without the murderin and rapin... what's left? i love coming of age novels, but hate post-apocalypic ones (except hunger games) but maybe the point is that if a book is REALLY GOOD it don't matter what genre you call it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of misspoke. It's really mid-apocalypse, if that helps?

      Delete
  2. Ooops, I meant I LOVE coming-of-age and don't like post-apocalyptic. I liked the Lovely Bones too, so maybe I just need to take my foot out of my mouth.

    I'm glad, though, that Kerry has the same knee-jerk reaction.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry! I totally misheard you. I think you'd like this book though. Not like "OMG GO GET IT RIGHT NOW" but like, if you're between books and are like "Huh... what should I read?", I'd say to check this one out.

      Delete