August 3, 2012

California's influence on food trends

I saw this Gourmet article months ago and bookmarked it to remember... and here it is: Five Food Trends We Owe to California

I especially love the "Periphery of the Plate" trend (de-emphasizing meat as the center of a meal).  While I certainly crave a cheeseburger and a roast chicken semi-frequently, I am grateful that California cuisine really celebrates the side dishes.

Having grown up and always lived in California, I always assumed that eating like this was just... eating.  It's how my mom always cooked, how my friends' families cooked, and how I learned to cook.  Now I know the California diet is a point of state pride -- woo hoo CA!

:: ah, california!  tomatoes from the brentwood farmers market ::


No comments:

Post a Comment