August 22, 2012

Non-toxic Adventures: Moisturizer (face and body)

So, as you can see, I'm obviously starting off easy here... first soap, then shaving cream, now moisturizer.

I'm saving the hard stuff, like mascara, deodorant and hair products for when I'm more experienced.  (Guys, I'm so scared.)

I've found a simple, super-natural solution for both facial moisturizer and body moisturizer that I totally like: oil.  Could anything be simpler?

Face
For face, I've been jamming on-and-off to Josie Maran's Argan Oil, and let me tell you... it's back ON folks.






I really love this stuff.  I don't understand how it works, but it moisturizers without being greasy BUT also heals any blackheads/acne that are popping up AND helps to heal red spots.  I thought that was all a load of hooey before, but I am all these things: sensitive skinned, dry skinned, get a lot of little breakouts and have red marks (from the breakouts) that linger forever.  And I think my skin has been notably better since I started using the Argan oil regularly.  Miracles, I tell you.

A couple things to keep in mind:
1. It takes a while to figure out how much to apply, because it is oil, so it can feel greasy.  I like to use about 5 drops and rub it in really well, but I think everyone's skin is different.
2. A 1.7 oz bottle is $48, which feels like a lot to pay for a tiny vial of oil.  It lasts a really long time, I find, but it still is a lot.  If you want to just give it a try, there's also a 0.5 oz bottle (so cute!) for $14.  Which isn't even a bad deal.  In fact, on a per ounce cost basis, the 1.7 oz bottle should really only be $47.60.  So I guess I'm the big sucker here for owning the 1.7 oz bottle.
3.  This isn't a thing to keep in mind, but if you're into Argan oil, and still reading this (wow!), do you know of any equally good Argan oil that isn't $28 an ounce?  It seems like it shouldn't cost so much.  But I also don't want to look like a monster on my face, so... maybe this is the price we pay?
4.  When you read the directions, it says you can use it all over, including as a cuticle oil.  Um, no way I'm using a $28/oz oil on my cuticles.  Nice try, Josie.

Body
Somehow this bottle of Trader Joe's jojoba oil from, like, 4 years ago has managed to hang out in my bathroom, taking up some prime real estate.  Which is very strange, because I can't remember ever reaching for it... until I got on my non-toxic kick.

Using oil as a straight-up body moisturizer seemed, well, ...greasy to me.  But I'd gotten a couple comments on previous posts extolling the virtues of oil (both as a shaving cream alternative and as a wonder moisturizer), so I thought I'd give it a go.  It's good, guys!

That's not to say it can't easily get yucky.  A little goes a long way.  I'd suggest starting with about a 1/2 teaspoon and see how far that takes you before adding more.  Don't slather it all over -- this isn't a deep tissue massage.  Just rub it in well until it's almost all absorbed.

Note: I have a feeling if your legs had any sort of tan in them, this would result in a really pretty healthy looking glow.  My legs are the color of copy paper, if copy paper was a tiny bit lavender, so I don't benefit from these glows.  But it sure does feel nice!

There are a variety of oils you could use for this purpose.  I've heard good things about coconut oil (including this post on Lululemon's blog), and I heard you can use it as an eye makeup remover.  I tried it, and it works pretty well, actually!

FYI, coconut oil smells like coconut, which isn't a bad smell, but is just a distinctive choice to make during your day.  I warned you.  (Also, the Argan oil and jojoba oil don't have any scent at all, which is both cool, but also disappointing, because it would be awesome if they smelled like Hawaiian flowers or something.)

10 comments:

  1. I love this post! So excited for your dive into natural products. I am like you and have super sensitive, itchy skin! I love hearing about the Argan oil for face--I use it in my hair a bit, but good to know it can go on the face too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it for a few weeks and see what you think! I read you want a "cosmetic grade" version (which probably means "expensive") if you're going to put it on your face. I think you'll like it!

      Delete
  2. This is exciting. I am going to check to see if they have that Argan oil at the weird Sephora up here (it's inside a JC Penney).

    Can you please add SUNSCREENS (especially face sunscreens) to your list of things to explore??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara: Please tell me everything about the Alaska JC Penney Sephora. (Did they have it?)

      ALso, I will cover face sunscreen this week!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the Josie Maran argan oil! It's the one moisturizer I've ever really stuck with long-term because I can use it on my neck without feeling slimy. I even like the face wash! But you have to use it correctly (apply to DRY face, rub in, then rinse) or it really doesn't work. Which is odd.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait. I didn't know about this rinse step. I'll need to get details from you. (eek!)

      Delete
  4. hmmm, you clearly don't have cuticles that grow as wildflowers! i'd be down for using that on those beasts for sure. wow. oil. that is scary to me. i used josie's natural mascara but when i went back to the toxic mascara it was like seeing vegas after living in reno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you talk about your cuticles that way, they sound lovely! Ugh, Kerry. I'm so scared about mascara. You're not helping. (But not as scared as deodorant. Nothing can rival my fear for that step.)

      Delete
  5. Mountain Rose Herbs sells cosmetic-grade, organic argan oil for $24 for 4oz, $42 for 8oz -- or $503 for 1 gallon! Anyway, they are reputable and that's a price even your cuticles can appreciate.

    I'm really scared for your deodorant journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anjali saves the day! Re: deodorant. I know. It's going to be a failure that just leaves me with a bunchy of stinky merino wool sweaters.

      Delete