August 17, 2012

Fall Books! Yay!

Flavorwire had a fun article this week about the most anticipated fall books

I'm particularly excited about these two:
Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon (September 11, 2012)

I've always found my Michal Chabon reading experiences to be fat and meaty, emotionally stirring, but moving at a nice clip.
 
From Flavorwire: In another sweeping-but-specific American epic (think High Fidelity mixed with Middlemarch), Chabon tells the story of two families in Oakland — Archy Stallings and Nat Jaffe are clinging to a failing record store, and their wives, Gwen and Aviva, scrambling to keep their midwifery practice together. Enter ex–NFL quarterback Gibson Goode, the fifth-richest black man in America, and Luther Stallings, one-time blaxploitation action star, and a pair of teenagers variously in love and not in love, and blood, inevitably, begins to boil.
 
 The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling (September 27, 2012)

J.K.!  I've got to say that I'm pretty nervous for this one.  I don't know a ton about J.K., but I love Harry Potter and wish her continued success.  I hope this is a lot of fun, but I don't have the highest expectations.

From Flavorwire: J.K. Rowling’s first book for grown ups (well, it depends on who you’re asking — we know a lot of adult Harry Potter devotees) is a black comedy about a seemingly idyllic British town in turmoil. And if there’s anything Rowling excels at, it’s British people in turmoil.
 
An aside: I used to never consider buying books in hardcover, but now that I have a Kindle, the price difference isn't as significant, and I don't need to lug around a monster-sized book, so I'm much more open to jumping straight into new releases now.  It's fun to be in on the literary dialogue early on!
 
Which books are you most excited about?  

4 comments:

  1. Woah, didn't realize JKs book was already "having a cover" and all that. IT will be neat to see what she comes up with. Damn that lady is PROLIFIC!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she has a wizard trick to be so prolific!

      Delete
  2. Ummmm, I'm excited to read the Chabon book and reminisce about all the time we spent in the "failing record stores" on Telegraph Avenue?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They never seemed like they were failing that much tho! It can't be about those, can it? I just HOPE Blondie's Pizza is featured.

      Delete