August 30, 2012

Non-toxic adventures: Sunscreen (for face)

Okay guys.  This one was surprisingly easy.  I realize this is one of the few categories where I have a leg up in the non-toxic department.  Non-toxic sunscreen is high in zinc, which tends to make formulas really white.  On darker complexions, it can be hard to get this to rub in, but on me, naturally super-pale, this was a breeze!

(Non-toxic sunscreen in a nutshell: You want zinc and titanium dioxide, which physically block all the bad sun stuff.  The other stuff chemically blocks it and then you get all the chemicals all up in your business.)

I actually tried two (bought one for Travis and a different one for me), and have been perfectly happy with both options.

BurnOut - SPF 32
Per Anjali's suggestion, I picked up this guy at Whole Foods (same price as on Amazon):
Burnout Eco-Sensitive W/Zinc SPF32 3.4 oz 
:: burnout eco-sensitive with zinc, $17.99 for 3.4 oz ::

At first I thought $18 seemed a little steep for what is basically a drugstore sunscreen (let's face it: Whole Foods is nice, but you're buying your stuff at a grocery store...), but I feel like Neutrogena is $13 for 2 ounces, so this is fine.  It just seems weird to pay $20 for a beauty product at a grocery store.

What I like about it: SPF 32; crazy high zinc content (18.6%!); wears normally under makeup; is biodegradable and ocean safe (you won't kill the coral reefs!).

What I don't like about it: The bottle says to reapply every two hours.  Um... for real?  It's just not happening on a daily basis.  So I hope I've been okay with my normal weekday routine of: sunscreen, makeup, out the door... all day... the end.

In the meantime, I've also tried...

Burt's Bees Radiance Day Lotion - SPF 15
Well, it definitely has a dreamier name than BurnOut.  It's also more expensive.  (Although I think I found it on another website for $12 or $13 when I bought it.)
:: burt's bees radiance day lotion, $17.99 for 2 oz. ::

This sunscreen contains the ingredient "fragrance", which all in-the-know non-toxic peeps know is a dirty word.  (The perfume industry has made "fragrance" a trade secret, so it can be loaded with all sorts of crazy toxic chemicals and nobody has to disclose it.)  However, my understanding of the Burt's Bees brand is that they are really careful about what they put in, so I'm not too alarmed by this ingredient, given the brand.

Overall, I'd say this one feels more like your standard not non-toxic facial moisturizer/sunscreen, if you're a stickler for texture.  

I'll probably stick with the BurnOut for regular use, given its higher SPF and zinc content and my fair complexion, but I could see a world where I turn to Burt's Bees in the winter when it's drier and less sunny.  I also prefer the Burt's Bees scent, but don't mind the BurnOut one at all.

Have you tried any good sunscreens lately?  What about body sunscreens?

6 comments:

  1. This is so good to know! I have been wanting to try both of these ones, so thanks for testing them for us! I use the California Baby sensitive skin stuff for my face, and I love it. I have the sunscreen stick, and it is slightly waxy, but it rubs in and seems to work. I love non-toxic baby sunscreens! I need a good one for the rest of the body though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like BurnOut. Definitely not waxy....

      Delete
  2. This is great! I didn't know there was nontoxic sunscreen (guess I didn't read the book so closely) but I am ready to try. Recently i've been over-exfoilating my face and then I apply sunscreen and IT BURNS MY SKIN. that's not good, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I think you're over exfoliating (says the girl who is addicted to her Clairsonic). Try exfoliating every other day at night do your skin has time to calm down before sunscreen. And buy a non-toxic sunscreen! If it's stinging, it must be getting waaaay into your skin, girl!

      Delete
  3. Hi Joanna!!!!!! I started following your blog recently, maybe something was posted on Tara's FB page? Anyways, long time no talk.

    Check out my friend Jamima's post on sunblock: http://sweatstyle.blogspot.com/2012/05/summer-must-have.html Especially useful is the link she has to a website that ranks and reviews sunscreens based on ingredients: http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kendra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to hear from you!

      Thanks for the link. I always like seeing other people's research (and blogs!). It's just confirming my hypothesis that I'm REALLY going to like Josie Maran's sunscreen. It's just so expensive... ugh.

      Delete