August 13, 2012

Book review!: Tiny Beautiful Things

After reading Cheryl Strayed's Wild for book club (totally good!), I picked up her other new book, Tiny Beautiful Things

Pre-Wild, a couple of friends had told me about "Dear Sugar," a super passionate, heart-felt, honest advice column that defies the genre of "advice column."  I had read a couple of Sugar's letters/answers, but they were a lot to take in on the internet midday and the habit didn't stick.  (Which, in hindsight, is really strange, because I absolutely love advice columns.)  I vaguely followed the story as Sugar outed herself as author Cheryl Strayed just as Wild was being released, but I didn't think much of it until Oprah went gaga for Wild which, in turn, made me read it.

Anyway, I loved it and was on a mother-daughter spa retreat in Arizona and needed another book and when you're on a mother-daughter spa retreat in Arizona, you just kinda think about life and all that kinda stuff and want to read an advice columnist's book.





:: cow, at the spa ::


Basically, I loved this book.  More than Wild.  If you already know "Dear Sugar," you can skip it -- it's a compilation of her columns, put together in an order that almost makes it read as a memoir.  By the end, I could think about any life question I had, and I knew what Sugar would tell me, and it felt comforting, like I had a wise imaginary friend!

I particularly liked her through-line advice of being able to feel and/or be two profoundly different things at the same time.  (e.g. You can be deeply sad but also very happy, and neither feeling negates or diminishes the other.)  This was echoed in a Yoga Nidra meditation class I went to at the spa.  All I remember before falling asleep for the next 20 minutes was this: "Feel your body heavy.  ...  Now feel your body light.  ... ... ... ... ...  Now feel your body both heavy and light."

Groooooooovy.

Good for: Anyone who wants to do a little self reflecting and thoughtful thinking.
Watch out for: Wishing Cheryl Strayed was a figure in your life.  Like, badly.

5 comments:

  1. Love this! I agree with everything except I'd like to add that even if you'd read CS columns, this is still somehow better. I think it's the order in which they're arranged--you can really savor her journey, as you said, like a memoir. Plus, there were a few that i'd missed. I think there are a few un-Rumpus'ed ones on there. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I can't wait to check this one out! I have heard so many good things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I can't wait to read it! I had the same experience with reading the column online. She's like your friend who writes these long, emotional emails that you love getting but take a week to read them. Much easier to read Dear Prudence during the work day.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's a great way to put it. I'm a huge Dear Prudence fan. Do you read Carolyn Hax? I used to like her a lot (still do), but I usually forget to read her. But Dear Prudence is my favorite. She has a great sense of humor :)

      Delete