October 17, 2012

Quintessentially October: 3 Great October-y Things

As is well established this time of year, every year, fall is the sh*t.

Here are 3 great October-y things:

1.  Baseball!  (Go Giants)
My favorite part of watching sports is developing an emotional connection with the players and the team.  So when a friend drew my attention to this blog, I basically lost my mind.

Um, you guys, it's not just any old player blog.  It's "Brandon and Brandon: A Season with Belt and Crawford" -- Giants Brandon Belt and Brandon Crawford's blog.  Love.

And they talk about the game, but also about team friendships and locker room dynamics (The real scoop on Pence's Friday Night Lights-esque pep talks!), hanging out with their wives, and going to Chipotle on the road so they don't need to take forever at a restaurant.  (Seriously, Chipotle is mentioned multiple times.  I love it so much!)

:: first baseman Brandon Belt and wife!! ::

:: shortstop Brandon Crawford and pregnant wife and puppies!!! ::

 2.  Kid Halloween Costumes
It's no secret: I'm obsessed with kids and babies in costumes.  Lucky for me, Jordan at Oh Happy Day has been doing a series on the cutest kid costumes, like, ever.  Check out the whole Homemade Halloween Series here, but here are some of the absolute cutest:



Gaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Me, dying of the cuteness.)

3.  Seasonal Decorating
Pumpkins 'n gourds.  Gourds 'n pumpkins.  Ain't it all just grand?

Emily Henderson did a great roundup of 22 New and Creative Ways to DIY Your Pumpkins.  Check it out.  Here's just a tiny preview (there are 17 other really cool ideas too):

And, while we're talking about gourds, please laugh out loud while you read (or, for most of you, re-read) this hilarious McSweeneys piece.

What's your favorite October-y thing?

3 comments:

  1. Joanna, this post makes me so happy! What a great find with that blog! I have sent it to Paul right away and we love it so far. Baseball is a very exciting part of October. Also, I love those Happy Day costumes. Her blog has been so good lately! I wish I could throw a little October party with all things pumpkin. This year might be a tad busy for it though, but I hope to at least bake some pumpkiny stuff! I have this really yummy pumpkin lasagna recipe that I make every year. I love October and think it might be the best month actually! The weather has been so nice over here! Hope you are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Frida is killing me! I just saw saw a family online somewhere who all dressed up as French "bandits". Both parents and the bebe wore nautical shirts and inked on Dali-esque swirly moustaches. It was pretty adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Miss Mary: It's such a great blog, right? They're so thoughtful and sweet. I love it! I picked up Trader Joe's pumpkin baking mix. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks so easy... I figured it's a very low-key way to bring in some pumpkin.

    @Sarah: GIRL, just wait for Friday's post. You might die. Those French bandits sound ah-dor-ah-bla....

    ReplyDelete