October 18, 2012

Fabulous Fall Friend Getaway: San Luis Obispo

Last weekend was a super-fun girlfriend road trip up the coast to San Luis Obispo.  Jessie and I were headed up to run a half marathon, but then decided to make a central coast weekend of it, and bring along another friend (and a dog!).  I'd never been to SLO before (except for a quick stop at the Madonna Inn, en route to NorCal), so I was very excited for our adventure.

Although it involved a lot of amazing things, like jamming to 90s mixes in the car, eating BBQ, drinking wine by a creek, a yummy spaghetti feed, watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi, and a Santa Barbara stop with lunch, fro yo and Lululemon (I know, I know... I just outdid myself), the highlight was Cider Fest at SLO Creek Farms

There was live music, apple picking, a pumpkin patch, wildflower fields, and, duh, an apple pie contest.  (After the judging was done, you could just grab a fork and taste the pies.  Sort of gross in concept, but delicious in practice.)

:: amazing fresh cider by donation.  in a mason jar, obviously. ::

 
:: just some dudes pressing cider :: 

:: hella pastoral ::


 :: fun bluegrass band, with lots of hula hoops out for kids to go crazy ::

:: had no idea there were this many apples on a tree at a time! ::

:: classic fall farm, guys ::

:: "havin' a blast at cider fest!  wish you were here!  -- me" ::


:: lady scarecrow... girl power! ::

And then we had (got to?) run 13 miles the next day, which was so pretty... and an amazing surprise was that the route went right past SLO Creek Farms!  Well hello, old friend!
   
:: friends finishing races together! ::

Any California road trip suggestions?

9 comments:

  1. This post has motivated me to start tweeting again so I'm not just "another friend" in future posts. Murphy is starting a Tumblr. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaaa had no idea you were doing another half. You Go, Girl!!

    Fun fact: this weekend I did some volunteering for this group Girls on the Run--I was a "running buddy" which meant that I ran a 5k with an 8-year-old girl as my partner, but I also volunteered to make a bunch of signs for spectators and parents to hold for the event. They said stuff like "LOOKING GOOD!" and "GO FOR IT" and "YOU ARE A STAR" -- but obviously, this one was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never hear girl trip or weekend trip the same way again...BUT...this looks like all kinds of perfect! Congrats on the run! I love the hula hoopers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Halie: Girl, I will totally hyperlink!

    @Tara: Why isn't "You go girl!" still a thing? Because I LOVE it. That's so sweet that you ran with an 8 year old. Good for her! I don't think I could have done that at 8.

    @Sarah: The hula hoopers were so cute. And you'll have lots of different kinds of weekends with your little family now :) With cuter pics, because you'll have a baaaaabaaaay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was the best 36 hour trip of my life! I love Ciderfest. Thank you for capturing the essence of it perfectly in photos and captions. Ciderfest is gonna get huge.

    Also, that bluegrass band, The Mother Corn Shuckers, play all the time - I saw on their schedule that next week they're playing at a corn maze! So I have a good feeling we'll cross paths again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie.... a CORN MAZE? Are corn mazes fun, or are they very scary where people dressed as maniac killers jump out at you? If it's fun, I'm in. If it's scary.... I'm.... a-scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  6. this looks like so much fun! love the had to/got to conundrum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was so much fun! I love SLO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was there the very next weekend! So bummed to miss the cider fest AND you!

    ReplyDelete