October 4, 2012

Revisiting Some Old Favorites

Since it's still a little warm to be cooking comfort foods (please get cool so I can make this mac & cheese!), I'm turning to some comfort reads and re-visiting some favorite self-help books I haven't looked at in years.
:: Can't wait to dig (back) in! ::
My favorites are two classics:
Live the Life You Love by Barbara Sher
I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was by Barbara Sher

And something from this decade:
Steering by Starlight by Martha Beck

Barbara Sher's books are fun (and a bit dated, but that's okay).  They're sort of like an Artist's Way without asking you to journal and do activities nearly as much, which is fine by me.  LTLYL has a great section early on that helps you understand what motivates you, and ICDAIIOKWIW helps you put ideas into action.

I don't remember a ton about Steering by Starlight except that I really liked it, and that it gets into Shaman-y stuff towards the end in a way that really jived with me during my first reading. 

If you're at all interested in checking out these books, they are all available for under $2 used on Amazon (plus shipping), so it's definitely worth a look.  (I passed along my Barbara Sher books to a family member and decided to re-buy them for myself for a grand total of $8, including shipping.)

Also, fun fact!: My copy of Steering by Starlight has an inscription from Martha herself.

My friend Kerry went to a signing and had Martha write in it for me as a birthday gift, but Kerry couldn't remember if my birthday was July 6th or July 9th (it's July 10th - ha!), and Martha said that that made Kerry a bad friend!  I almost always agree with Martha, but she is dead wrong on that one!  Hmph!

For my next self-help book, I'm thinking about:
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2012/09/11/78/6e/DaringGreatly_fina_1560032a.jpg
:: Daring Greatly by Brene Brown ::

What are your thoughts on the self-help genre?  Do you have a favorite self-help book?

4 comments:

  1. I love Martha Beck so much, and my family loves Barbara Sher too! Martha is amazing, and I was so glad to have the opportunity to meet her once during the Oprah weekend in SF a few years ago-ahhh, one of the highlights of my life :) I am totally into self-help books, and love all of Martha's books, with a special passion for Expecting Adam. It is more of a memoir, but I found it deeply beautiful and moving in ways that were personal for me. She is such a good writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, Mary. I want to hear all about the Oprah weekend someday! Ooh ooh! I forgot about Expecting Adam! I've never read it, but I want to. Okay, it's going on the Amazon wishlist!

      Delete
  2. Wow- that's crazy about Martha Beck! Poor Kerry. I read one of Martha's books- she's a great writer- and I was fascinated by her backstory. She has a history of making very strong claims that she occasionally needs to rescind, which makes me like her even more. We must discuss!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she's kind of polarizing, which (you're so right) is awesome of her. I subscribed to Oprah magazine for, like, 5 years too many because I just liked her column.

      Delete